Legal English in Berlin
Legal English Courses in Berlin for Lawyers
GLS is a specialist for Legal English
GLS has a lot of expertise in teaching legal English both in-company, on a one-to-one basis and in preparation courses for the ILEC exam – the Cambridge International Certificate in Legal English. The teacher has a legal background and, just as importantly, is a qualified teacher of English as a Foreign Language.
The intensive courses are recognized as educational leave or Bildungsurlaub - available with accommodation in the hotel on site:
- price includes teaching materials
- time and place upon agreement
The courses are for qualified lawyers or professionals from other legal fields who already have a good command of English (B2 level+) and who want to improve their spoken and written communication skills in a legal context.
Typical key language and skills you will cover in the course include:
- legal vocabulary
- effective communication skills for meetings and negotiations
- effective participation in discussions
- giving presentations
- written communication including email, reports and formal letters
- socialising, meeting and greeting, networking
- listening skills
- grammar revision
Typical activities in the course include:
- describing your job
- interviewing clients
- drafting examples of contracts, legal letters of advice and legal memos
- giving legal advice to a foreign client
- greeting visitors and making small talk
- making a presentation on a legal topic
- listening to a well-known legal expert
- taking part in simulated meetings and negotiations
There are many opportunities to discuss legal issues and systems but it is not a course in law. Your teacher has a background in law but, more importantly, is also a qualified and experienced Teacher of English as a Foreign Language.
ILEC Legal English Certificate
GLS is/was an examination centre for the ILEC International Legal English Certificate from the University of Cambridge – the certificate will no longer be offered after 2016
As an alternative, the University of Cambridge recommends two certificates which don’t focus specifically on legal English, but which are set at a high level (C1). Both certificates can be taken at GLS:
Legal English in London
You can also take a course in Legal English at our partner school in London. They also offer courses specifically for law students and newly qualified lawyers who are 20 - 30 years old and who would like to improve their spoken English in particular. The course includes discussion of legal cases, meetings and negotiations, and civil law, EU law and criminal law.